- Ignore the bitches in high school. I know that you think that they matter but they really don’t. Mean girls are not, in any way better than you.
- Exercise – it really is important and a good habit to cultivate.
- Use sunscreen every damn day.
- Never, ever let any boy make you feel that you have to do something you want to do. You get to decide what you want to do with your body and when and with who. Any boy who does not accept your answer and continues to pressure you is an ass and is not deserving of your time or affection. It does not matter how cute he is or how popular. Also no matter what he says he will not die if he does not get into your pants.
- Remember that you are smart and never let anyone let you feel that you are not.
- Math, the complicated kind with lots of letters and symbols – will never be your strong suit and that is OK. There are lots of ways to be smart and doing complicated equations in your head is just one of them. However, it is kind of important so ask for help or get a tutor.
- Your sense of humour will get you through just about anything.
- Find something that you love to do and go for it. Don’t let fear hold you back from trying new things.
- Always try to make the best decision for you at the time. Should this decision contravene what someone else wants to do with you or have you do for them, have the strength to do you what is important to you.
- Learn a 2nd language.
- Be yourself at all times.
- Know that you are always enough. You don’t have to do more or be more or try harder to make anyone happy.
- When you have sex for the first time – it is not like a Harlequin Romance. This is not to say that it is not fun or great – but the books can be a bit misleading.
- Travel. And not to the all inclusive kind of place, although those are fun but to far off places that you read about in books. See as much of this world as you possibly can so that you know that you live in a truly great country. There is no feeling like that of getting on a plane and looking forward to an amazing vacation and there is also no feeling like that of coming home.
- Loving someone else is the best gift you can give yourself and also the greatest risk you can ever take. You grow when you love someone else and even though you will get hurt, you learn something with every relationship. Take the risk – it is worth it.
- Most importantly – love who you are and have fun.
Thursday, March 10, 2011
A letter to my younger self
I have been thinking about this a lot – what would I do different if I could go back and do it all over again, or what do I have now that I wish I had back then…so I thought I would take a moment to write to my younger self
Dear Younger self,
This is the older version of your wanting, if in some way to go back in time and have a do-over on some experiences – mainly high school and some of my twenties. But since that is not likely to happen, here is what I wish I could tell you from the future…
You will go onto have great friends and experiences and have a great life. You will be loved and be heartbroken but you will survive and thrive. You will find in yourself abilities that you would never have imagined that you would have and do things that will amaze yourself. You get one shot at this life and the best advice I can give you is to enjoy every damn moment. You should always remember that remember that “Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out.
Your future, older self